According to the United States 2010 census, 27.5% of the population on Shelter Island is at or above the age of sixty-five, compared to 15.4% for all of New York state.
The Senior Citizens Foundation of Shelter Island, Inc., a 501(c)(3) charitable organization established in the late 1990’s, considers this resident older population a terrific resource of experience and expertise.
Our mission is to present an independent voice on Shelter Island to promote and help maintain and improve the quality of life for its older adults. The Foundation addresses the many challenges that seniors face in accessibility to health services, the physical environment, and social networks through advocacy, grants to organizations and individuals, and educational programs. For example, the Senior Citizens Foundation:
- In 2016 gave a grant of $36,000 to the Town of Shelter Island toward the purchase of a wheel-chair-accessible mini-van to be used by the Senior Services Program.
- In 2016 gave a grant of $10,000 to the Perlman Music Program to improve accessibility to its recitals for physically challenged older adults.
- Continues to support the “Safe At Home” emergency response system for older adults in need.
- In 2017 conducted a survey of residents to determine their interest in an urgent care capability on Shelter Island.
- In 2017 conducted four Senior Smarts programs that addressed health and environmental issues.
- Purchased five teak benches for the Lions Centennial Pavilion at Wades Beach in 2018.
Senior Citizens Foundation of Shelter Island, Inc.
P.O. Box 352
Shelter Island, NY 11964-0352
Phone Number [via Google Voice]: (631) 268-5723