For more than a decade, the Senior Citizens Foundation (SCF) of Shelter Island, New York has played a major role in the health and welfare of the Island’s older residents. Financial assistance from the Foundation helps to sustain a host of life-enhancing senior programs which are only partly funded by state & local tax appropriations or user fees. The annual shortfall is subsidized by the Foundation—in amounts that increase year by year as the Island’s senior population continues to grow.
Shelter Island has a population of almost 30% above the age of 60, more than 50% greater than the national average. The financial safety-net represented by SCF enables the Town’s official agency, the Senior Citizens Affairs Council, to provide such vital services as the Nutrition Program, Meals-on-Wheels, Home Health Care, the Residential Repair Program, local transportation and the Silver Circle, without ever turning anyone away. The Foundation also provides funds to cover some unexpected expenses at the Senior Activity Center—new kitchen equipment for example, and a 50″ flat screen TV — and helps qualified seniors cope with temporary emergencies such as the high price of home heating fuel.
Purposes of the Foundation
- Meet the ongoing needs of the elderly population of the Town of Shelter Island, New York
- Serve as an advisory body to the Town of Shelter Island
- Solicit, collect, and otherwise raise funds to sponsor senior citizens’ programs
- Encourage participation in the civic affairs of the community concerning issues of importance to senior citizens
- Develop good citizenship
- Encourage citizen participation in community improvement programs
- Encourage interest, awareness and activism in local and national political arenas with reference to the needs of senior citizens
- Inquire into political issues affecting such individuals pending before local, state and county legislative bodies
- Aid and assist senior citizens in obtaining available social services within the community
- Hold, conduct, and organize meetings, discussions and forums to consider community opinions on relevant contemporary issues affecting senior citizens in Suffolk County
- Aid, assist, cooperate, co-sponsor and otherwise engage in concerted action with private and governmental agencies and organizations on all programs designed, calculated and dedicated to the improvement of life for senior citizens
- Solicit, collect and otherwise raise money for the charitable and benevolent purposes of this corporation and to expend such monies for such purposes and generally to promote and advance the interests, health and welfare of the elderly population by all available means and methods