Whether it is a matter of health or welfare, the Senior Citizens Foundation is committed to supporting and sustaining a host of life-enhancing senior programs, helping to partner and reinforce state and local senior targeted initiatives. One of our major roles is to provide a financial safety-net, enabling the Town’s official agency, Senior Citizens Affairs Council (SCAC), to offer vital services to our local senior residents. Here are some examples of these vital, productive community partnerships that the Senior Citizens Foundation has supported:
- The Shelter Island Senior Activity Center — initial purchase and furnishing. (Click on map to zoom and get directions to the Center.)
- Senior Nutrition Programs — including Meals-on-Wheels and the Dinner Bell Congregate Meals at a local church.
- Senior Activity Center Kitchen Update — purchasing and installing equipment in compliance with the Suffolk Department of Health Services’ Code.
In addition to supporting state and local senior programs, the Senior Citizens Foundation created and funded the following special projects:
- Enhanced Handicapped Accessible Transportation — offering home bound and/or handicapped seniors the ability to travel comfortably in an easily wheelchair accessible, up-to-date Toyota van.
- Free Medical Alerts — providing to eligible seniors either a necklace or bracelet beeper and a base receiver/transmitter connecting to a command center where personnel report the call to police, ambulance or fire departments.
- Home Heating Fuel Program — helping qualified seniors to cope with temporary emergencies such as the high price of home heating fuel.
- Improved Accessibility for the Handicapped — providing a grant to the Perlman Music Program to upgrade its campus walkways and add benches to improve the experience of senior citizens and people with disabilities attending PMP concerts.